The use of technological assistance in the Montréal courthouse is possible in the following situations:
For the presentation of an uncontested Motion to Extend a Time Limit of 180 days, a Case Management Notice, a Motion to Examine a Third Party by Consent or a Motion for a Ruling on Foreseeable Objections, a telephone conference call is accepted on the following conditions:
- The parties must file the motion and amended time limit at least two (2) clear days before the date of the hearing;
- The attorney who presents the motion must call 514-393-2322 to obtain a date and time for the hearing and a conference identification number;
- The service is available once per week, in the afternoon, by appointment only;
- The detailed procedure is set out in the Notice to Members of the Bar dated October 15, 2007 (Superior Court – District of Montréal).
To hear witnesses during an examination on the merits, a videoconference may be used based on the following procedure:
- The parties must have obtained prior authorization from the coordinating judge or the judge designated to hear the case (if known);
- At least 5 days before the date of the hearing, the parties or their attorneys must contact the audiovisual and electronic services division (Service des ressources audiovisuelles et électroniques or SRAVE) at 514-864-7283 to make the necessary technical arrangements.
Please note that unless a videoconference is specifically required, the technology cannot be used if a telephone conference call would otherwise meet all the requirements of the hearing (for example: to hear a witness at a hearing presided at by a judge).