Montreal, December 8, 2010
NOTICE TO MEMBERS OF THE BAR
SUPERIOR COURT - DISTRICT OF MONTRÉAL
PROVISIONAL ROLL - FAMILY MATTERS - CONFERENCE CALLS
Please be advised that, starting on February 2, 2011, it will be possible to attend the calling of the provisional roll in family matters by conference call.
This service will be available on Wednesdays starting at 2:00 p.m. Please note that all the attorneys acting in the cases being called at that hour will be on the line, up to a maximum of twenty (20) participants. This differs from the modus operandi of the conference calls held on Mondays and Tuesdays in Room 2.13, where only the attorneys acting in the specific case are on the line.
The calls will be presided by a Special Clerk sitting in Room 2,16. They will be digitally recorded and a minute of the hearing will be produced in the court record.
In order to respect article 13 C.C.P. and article 2 of the Rules of Practice of the Superior Court of Quebec in Family Matters, which require in camera hearings in family matters and restrict the persons who may attend at such hearings, this service will be available only to lawyers. Self-represented parties, as well as counsel acting in those files, will be required to attend personally at roll calls in accordance with the directions contained in the avis de convocation sent by the Master of the Rolls of Montreal.
In order to qualify for this service, the file must contain an Attestation that a file is complete pursuant to article 77(b) of the Rules of Practice of the Superior Court of Quebec in Civil Matters. Where that attestation is not in the file, counsel will be required to attend personally at roll calls in accordance with the directions contained in the avis de convocation sent by the Master of the Rolls of Montreal.
The procedure for using this service is the following :
- Upon receiving an avis de convocation for a provisional roll call, the attorney must obtain an eight-digit conference call identification number by calling 514 393-2021, extension 2;
- On the day of the call, 10 minutes before the time indicated in the avis de convocation, the attorney must call 514 393-6533, choose option 1 : "participer à une téléconférence" and then enter the eight-digit conference call identification number obtained earlier;
- When the Special Clerk is ready, he will join the call. Please note that the Special Clerk will not be able to inform the participants of any delay in his joining the call;
- As each case is called, the attorneys will identify themselves and make their representations in turn.
- From the moment you join the call, there will be several other persons on the line, so please do not speak until your case is called and take note that any comments you do make will not be confidential;
- In order to ensure the best possible sound quality, you may not use cell phones, public telephones or the hands-free option;
- Attorneys who choose to attend a calling of the roll by conference call rather than in person cannot be transferred to the Judge in Chambers to contest a decision of the Special Clerk.
Associate Chief Justice